Provincetown is a small and historic New England town at the very tip of Cape Cod. It’s actually the very first place the pilgrims landed when they reached the shores of present-day United States. They stayed there for a handful of months before continuing to Plymouth. Since the pilgrim’s landing, “Ptown” has reinvented itself a few times over from a fishing town, an artist’s haven, and a gay destination. Known for its eccentric flare in a predominately buttoned-up New England Cape Cod, Provincetown has been a safe space for artists and gays for the past half century.
- Liz’s Cafe – Best spot for a big breakfast and a great lunch! We came here after a hike across the Ptown causeway and it was the perfect reward!
- *Grab ‘n Go Health Bar – If you’re craving some greens or a healthy moment between lobster rolls, they have great smoothies, juices, and salads
- *Connie’s Bakery & Cafe is – Perfect spot to grab a breakfast sandwich and coffee. Have some great lunch options as well!
- Pop & Dutch – Easygoing sandwich shop with a handwritten menu, pastries & provisions in a relaxed rustic setting. I got the “Agent Dale Cooper” and it was delicious!
- Relish – Charming storefront serving sandwiches & many baked goods, including vegan & gluten-free items.
- Box Office Cafe & Cabaret – Great for a fun brunch!
- Crown & Anchor – Restaurant and hotel that also hosts fun drag brunch & drag shows!
- *The Canteen – This spot came highly recommended, and I think we ended up going every day we were in town for a drink. The Brussels were insane, along with their lobster roll and fries. I don’t usually order (and like frosé, but they do it right!)
- Spindler’s – Chef Barbara Lynch designed the French-Italian-inspired New England menu for this hotel eatery.
Dinner & Drinks:
- The Red Inn – Built in 1805, this charming inn is the perfect place to enjoy a happy hour or dinner by the water. Happy hour is from 2:30-5pm!
- Strangers and Saints – Such a great dinner spot in the East End. We got the mezze plate, patatas bravas, gnocchi, barata, and pappardelle. Recommend getting seated in their cute back patio! Oh, and starting with a tequila flight!
- Far Land Provisions – Corner store & deli serving up some great lunch options. We grabbed some sandwiches and salads (and wine!) and headed to the beach for a little picnic. couldn’t recommend more!
- Spiritus – Late-night pizza
- *Sal’s Place – you gotta go. This place is serving seafood-forward Italian fare in a perfectly quaint space. the meatballs, arugula salad, charred octopus, and orecchiette were all insane.
- The Patio – features a great patio on Commercial St. that’s great for a boozy lunch or happy hour!
- Pepe’s Wharf – A historic wharf with a great deck on the water for dinner!
- Freeman’s – Newest establishment in Ptown serving Mediterranean fare in a chic environment. They are only serving 4 at each table!
- Perry Fine Wine & Liquor Shop – Located in the West End, this was our favorite spot to stroll by and pick up some wine. They were so knowledgeable about all their wines and super helpful!
- Aquabar – Gay bar at the water’s edge through the Aquarium Marketplace. Great place for afternoon drinks!
- Boatslip – Tea dance every day from 4-7!
- A-House – Ptown’s most popular and only year-round dance club.
- *Kohi Coffee – favorite coffee in Ptown
- Joe Coffee – great grab & go coffee
- *361 Coffee & Espresso Bar
- Wired Puppy
- Cafe at Spindler’s
- Rent Bikes! – There are quite a few bike rental shops in town. Ptown is small enough that you might find you don’t need to rent them unless you’re planning on riding to Boys Beach or Race Point!
- See a drag show – There are quite a few venues and spots to catch a show!
- Grab a pint at Provincetown Brewery Company
- Pilgrim Museum & Monument
- Hike the Provincetown Causeway through the salt flats to the Wood End Lighthouse
- Beaches: Herring Cove Beach, Race Point Beach, Hatches Harbor, and ask me about Boy’s Beach 🙂
- MAP – Great menswear boutique and provisions
- Shor – Interior shop
- East End Books – Local book shop
- Room 68 – modern interiors
- Century – Gift shop with watches, home goods, and accessories!
- Yates & Kennedy – beautifully curated home goods & interiors
- Kenneth Scott – Apparel
- Loveland – Bohemian home furnishings and apparel
- The Captain’s Daughters – Charming boutique offering tea, a bar, and gallery
- Anchor Inn Beach House – We stayed there loved our stay! Cute, quaint, and with such a great location it sits right in the middle the action, on Commercial St. We spent many afternoons hanging on their covered porch, or on our balcony that faces the sea. The innkeepers (Michael & Chris!) couldn’t have been more accommodating & hospitable. The Inn is also open year-round so any time is a great time to stay there! To book, click here!
- AWOL – Located at the end of the West End, this re-vamped motel-style hotel is great. They have a hotel
- Salt Inn – Precious boutique hotel!
- Captain Jack’s Warf – Nostalgic condominium cabins on a colorful, historic fishing wharf. Most rentals are Saturday to Saturday
…on the way to Ptown (if driving!):
- Arnold’s Lobster & Clam Bar – Depends on who you talk to, but one of the best lobster rolls on the cape
- Truro Vineyards– Cape Cod winery with tasting and tours.
- Chatham Bars Inn – This beautiful and historic hotel is one of Cape Cod’s finest resorts. It’s one of Olivia’s favorite places! If you’re just driving through, I’d recommend going to their ‘Beach House’ for lunch.
- Beachcomber – A destination for most on the cape! Casual restaurant & beach club that has great live music.
I do want to note that we were here during Summer 2020, so COVID-19 precautions were in place. There was a mask mandate and the town felt very safe with everybody respecting other’s space and complying with the rules! If traveling, please be sure to check the state’s travel rules and know your status.
Have you been out to Provincetown? If so, I’d love to hear about what you thought about the funky New England town on the edge of the Atlantic! I hope this helps you out with your trip! Thanks for all your recs Carlos, Bryan & Benton!