As we start off this new year with a clean slate, I’m aiming to create some consistency when I’m not on the road. I’ve had spurts of ‘morning person-ess,’ but have never been able to fully commit to making it a sustainable part of my lifestyle. I’m sharing 5 ways I’m setting myself up to become one as well as 5-morning routine essentials.
It really is a mental game, but becoming a “morning person” is a top priority for me in 2018. Not that I could sleep until noon every day, but I’m quite a night owl and find that when I do wake up early, I am so much more productive during the day. I’ve found that being a morning person really starts at night and in setting yourself up for success.
Here are my 5 tips for becoming a morning person, at night:
- Get to bed earlier
- Charge your phone away from your bed
- Place your alarm out of arm’s reach
- Set out your clothes the night before
- Consistency is key! keep it up for at least a week to see results!
In setting myself up for success in being a morning person, having a structure in the AM is crucial, too. From past presidents to entertainers and notable figures, so many successful people have a structured morning routine (see more here!). I’ve rounded up how I’m prioritizing my mornings and want to share with you!
My morning routine:
- Get a sweat in – Just get to the gym. Once you’re there, you won’t’ waste much time since you made the effort to be there. I’ve found a sweat in the morning gets my endorphins up and is better than a cup of coffee. I belong to Equinox and they offer a wide variety of fitness classes from cycling to yoga and boxing. Lately, I have been loving a bunch of their HIIT Classes and have been building them into my morning routine. Anyone love METCON3, Tabata, and Firestarter too?!
- Meditate – This year I’m learning to meditate the first few hours of getting up. I’ve really enjoyed the breathing and mediations practice I’ve received thus far from yoga and want to take it a step further. I’m starting a guided meditation with Headspace and am super-excited. Do you have any other app suggestions?
- Prioritize your emails – Go through and respond to emails that need immediate responses. not which ones need to be tended to that day and the ones that can wait. One of my favorite things to do is to draft responses after hours and send them through when it’s 9 am the next day. talk about feeling uber-productive!
- Simplify breakfast – I love breakfast, and really enjoy spending time making myself a big one. But I’ve found I need quick & easy on-the-go options so I don’t spend 30 minutes cooking up a sweet potato hash or crispy pesto rice bowl (YUM!)
- Get your news – I’ve noted in past posts, but my favorite podcasts that I listen to daily are Monocle’s The Globalist and New York Times’ The Daily. If reading the paper or scrolling through Twitter is more your jam – jam on.
I’m rocking head-to-toe activewear from Old Navy in this post. I’m digging the can-do attitude of some of their graphic tees and loving their activewear – this is the first time I’ve rocked Old Navy in a more athletic sense. This shirt fit pretty great and comes in long sleeve too!
I’ve featured quite a few joggers, but this pair might be one of my favorites yet. The fit of the Go-Dry Tech Fleece Joggers is fantastic. It’s a fine line, but the fit of a great jogger sits right between the mobility of any active situation and a tapered feel. You don’t want to be wearing a baggy sweatpant but you also don’t want to be restricted in any movement. This pair was just that. With an elastic waistband and banded-cuff leg openings, the simplistic approach wins with this jogger. The pants are so soft (that fleece!) with just enough stretch. I love the zippered pockets in the front that feature a breathable mesh lining, too! I have the Navy Heather, but will most likely get this pair in at least one other color too (they come in grey & black!) as they’ll be the perfect pant for the next few months in Chicago’s winter.
Also, a couple of weeks ago I shared on Instagram Stories that ‘Anaconda’ by Nicki Minaj was my go-to workout jam and asked y’all what got you goin’ at the gym. The responses were terrific and I had to compile the results into a workout playlist. It’s been keeping me focused and inspired at the gym so I had to share it with you:
JAM ON! 😀
Shop this look:
Photography by Lexie Hoffman