Tacos and margaritas are two of the most iconic foods and drinks in Austin, Texas, and it’s no surprise why. With its thriving food scene and laid-back atmosphere, Austin is the perfect place to enjoy these classic Mexican-inspired dishes. When it comes to tacos, Austin has no shortage of amazing options. From food trucks to fine dining restaurants, there’s a taco for every taste and budget!
Some of the best places to try tacos in Austin include Torchy’s Taco, De Nada Cantina, Veracruz All Natural, Tacodeli, and Tacodeli. My all-time favorite is Torchy’s. Torchy’s Tacos is a must-try for anyone visiting Austin, Texas. The food is delicious and the atmosphere is laid-back and casual, making it the perfect spot for a quick bite or a casual dinner with friends. Whether you’re a fan of classic Tex-Mex fare or are looking to try something a little more unique, you’ll find something to love at Torchy’s. Veracruz All Natural is known for their delicious breakfast tacos made with fresh, locally-sourced ingredients. Tacodeli is another fan favorite, offering a variety of creative taco fillings such as brisket, shrimp, and even duck! Austin has an abundance of taco offerings ranging from cheap and traditional to upscale and experimental – a taco for everyone!
But no taco feast is complete without a refreshing margarita to wash it all down. Austin is home to many amazing bars and restaurants that serve up delicious margaritas, but one of the most popular spots is Cabo Bob’s. Located in the heart of Austin, this Tex-Mex spot is known for its generous pour and delicious margarita flavors. From classic lime to spicy jalapeño, there’s a margarita for every taste. Another great spot to grab a margarita is Fresa’s. This chic South Austin restaurant serves up mouth-watering tacos and refreshing margaritas made with fresh fruit and top-quality tequila.
- Suerte – Contemporary spot serving interior Mexican specialties & delicious craft cocktails. Get the Choripapa Sopes, Tuna Tostada, Sunchoke Huarache and the Suadero tacos!
- Matt’s El Rancho – Family-friendly Tex-Mex spot that’s been drawing crowds with enchiladas & margaritas since 1952. This spot is famous for their “Bob Armstrong” queso!
- Maudie’s – Long-running local Austin chain serving Tex-Mex faves & margaritas in a lively, casual setting.
- Taco Deli – Some of my favorite breakfast tacos in the city! Build your own, the Migas or the Jess (and don’t sleep on the Dona hot sauce!)
- Comedor – Mexican-inspired fare & drinks by a popular chef with high ceilings & a modern, industrial design. Be sure to get their tostadas, bone marrow tacos and delicious mezcal margaritas!
- Torchy’s Taco – My ultimate taco in Austin. Torchy’s started out as a food truck and quickly expanded from there! Get the Baja Shrimp and Green Chili pork (on corn), a Trailer Park (and get it “trashy”)! And don’t forget their queso (it’s my fave!) and their street corn! Their classic breakfast tacos are just delicious as well!
- Cisco’s – Breakfast faves at this daytime institution with modest decor include migas & biscuits. Favorite for Mexican breakfast! I’m a fan of anywhere that has a squirt bottle of butter on the table.
- Velvet Taco – This is a pretty different kind of taco joint with an eclectic menu of globally-inspired tacos. Not your typpical Tex-Mex fare. Don’t sleep on their street corn!
- El Arroyo – If you haven’t heard of this institution (which means “the ditch”), you have definitely seen their signage with witty sayings that pre-dates social media! This Casual Tex-Mex joint boasts a sizable outdoor patio with a full bar, TVs & live music on weekends.
- Fresa’s – Wood-grilled Mexican fare, cocktails & more in a colorful space with a patio & takeaway window. Get the La Fresa & El Santo Tacos, some guac & queso as well as the grilled sweet potatoes.
- Nixta Taqueria – Trendy tacos & tostados!
- La Condesa – An award-winning modern Mexican restaurant located in Austin’s vibrant 2nd Street District. Helmed by Executive Chef Rick Lopez, La Condesa’s menu features interior Mexican dishes made with fresh, locally sourced ingredients, plus a renowned bar program with one of the largest collections of tequila, mezcal, and other Mexican spirits in the city.
- ATX Cocina – Modern Mexian cantina serving up some classic tex-mex fare with an elevated twist!
- Juan in a Million – Eastside staple with breakfast tacos & traditional dishes in a basic setting with an outdoor patio.
- Chuy’s – Casual Tex-Mex that hits the spot with their homemade tortillas!
- Fonda San Miguel – Sophisticated takes on traditional Mexican cuisine served in a colorful, hacienda-style space.
- El Alma – Inventive Mexican cuisine & cocktails in a chic setting accented by local art & a rooftop deck.
- Licha’s Cantina – In a town with so many Mexican restaurants, this one stands out.
- De Nada Cantina – Cozy locale with outdoor seating, prepping traditional Mexican fare like barbacoa & carnitas! They have great margaritas as well!
If you’re looking for the best breakfast tacos in Austin, Texas, you’re in luck! Austin is known for its delicious breakfast tacos, and there are plenty of great places to find them. Here are some of my favorite spots for breakfast tacos in Austin:
- Torchy’s Taco – This local chain is a fan favorite for breakfast tacos. Their tacos are made with fresh, locally-sourced ingredients and come in a variety of tasty flavors.
- Tamale House East – Located in east Austin, this family-owned restaurant serves up some of the best breakfast tacos in town. They have a wide selection of fillings, including chorizo, potato, and bean, and their homemade tortillas are the perfect vessel for holding all that deliciousness.
- Veracruz All Natural – This food truck, with several locations around Austin, serves up breakfast tacos made with fresh, locally-sourced ingredients. Their migas taco, made with scrambled eggs, tortilla chips, cheese, and avocado, is a must-try.
- Juan in a Million – This east Austin restaurant is known for its giant breakfast tacos, which are stuffed with potatoes, eggs, cheese, and your choice of meat. They’re so big, you might need to share with a friend!
- Taco Deli – Another local chain, Taco Deli serves up breakfast tacos with a variety of fillings, including chorizo, potato, and bean. They also have a range of salsas and sauces to add some extra flavor to your taco.
- Fonda San Miguel – Get thier “Numero Uno” margarita or Silver Coin Margarita Watermelon!
- Maudie’s Cafe – They have a pretty extensive list of frozen or on-the-rocks margaritas!
- La Condesa – Their “Margarita La Condesa” is delicious and made with grilled pineapples.
- Licha’s Cantina – Great classic or spicy!
- Esperanza’s – This colorful Mexican restaurant has a fun atmosphere and serves up some delicious margaritas. Their “House Margarita” is made with top-shelf tequila and fresh-squeezed lime juice and comes in a variety of flavors, including mango and passion fruit.
- El Alma – Enjoy their avocado or mango margarita from their rooftop!
- De Nada Cantina – Delicious and strong margaritas!
- Fresa’s – They’ve got a great classic or flavored margarita (house option and spicy ancho chile, the latter includes prickly pear, avocado, and coconut!)
- Matt’s El Rancho – Margaritas at this iconic Austin eatery! And get the Cactus Pryor – their prickly pear frozen!
- Curra’s Grill – Get their avocado margarita!
- Trudy’s – This Tex-Mex restaurant has a laid-back atmosphere and serves up some killer margaritas. Their “Star Margarita” is made with top-shelf tequila and fresh-squeezed lime juice and comes in a variety of flavors, including mango and strawberry.
- Mi Madre’s – their “Basil Serrano Margarita” with Herradura Blanco muddled basil and chilies, fresh lime and agave.
- Güero’s Taco Bar – this spot has one of the lengthiest margarita menus as well as one of the best people-watching patios on South Congress!
- Tamale House East – Great margaritas, frozen, on the rocks or by the pitcher! Since 1958!
- Gabriella’s – Delicious frozen or on the rocks!
- ATX Cocina – Their Margarita de la Casa pairs well with their modern Mexican fare!
- Vinaigrette – Get their “Vinny Margarita” on their incredible backyard patio!
- The Roosevelt Room – This trendy cocktail bar has a stylish atmosphere and serves up some top-notch margaritas. Their “Classic Margarita” is made with tequila, orange liqueur, and lime juice, and they also offer a range of creative variations, like the “Smoked Margarita” made with mezcal and the “Frozen Mango Margarita.”
So next time you’re in Austin, make sure to indulge in some delicious tacos and margaritas. Whether you’re looking for a quick bite from a food truck or a sit-down meal at a trendy restaurant, Austin has no shortage of amazing options to choose from. Just don’t forget the chips and salsa! Cheers!